Follow the Dream is an inter-agency program managed by the Department of Education across the State in collaboration with Graham (Polly) Farmer Foundation and private industry sponsors. It has been successfully operating at Sevenoaks for the past 10 years.
The program targets Aboriginal students with high aspirations as they commence their secondary education.
Through individualised case management in the areas of academic acceleration, subject selection, career and transition support, students are encouraged to complete Year 12 and achieve results that enable entrance into tertiary studies.
The program also includes high achieving and motivated students undertaking vocational education and training (VET) school pathways, provided they meet the program selection criteria.
Students are selected for the Follow the Dream program based on attendance, good grades and positive attitudes towards their schooling.
Program Objectives are:
- achieve a WACE and enter university;
- attend school regularly;
- achieve high school grades and have high levels of literacy and numeracy;
- have a broad range of post school education, training and employment options and opportunities;
- achieve a successful post school transition;
- have high self-expectations
- parents and communities have high expectations, involvement and pride in the success of the students